Tommy Mac Discussions Forums Fix-it Forum: Home Improvement & Do It Yourself Repair Forum Duct sealing worth the cost to cure dusty house problems?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Unregistered-tgsdad@aol.com

I am replacing my furnace and one of the contractors said I need to seal up my ducts to help with the excessive dust problems in my home. The cost is approx $1k. I have a 2 story, 4 bedroom house and live in Pittsburgh and my heating bills are no higher than $200/month. The house is well insulated and I don’t see a cost savings need for the duct sealing.
      Is sealing the ducts a real solultion to cure a dusty house?

Unregistered-t.b.

That contracotr is out for your money – if you’re that generous send me some too! Sealing ducts cna be beneficial if they run in the attic or a unheated basement such that heat is leaking out where you don’t want it. But dust? Biggest scam there is. Think about it a minute – your supply ducts FROM the furnace are under pressure – air leaks out not in. And if you have a really good air cleaner (powered electrostatic is the best) all that air in there is guess what? – clean! As for your return ducts any dust they pick up is deposited in your air cleaner and removed by you. Send me a check for $1000 :0)

Unregistered-rick

it’s always good to seal the duct joins with metal duct tape to allow full air flow to the farthest rooms.

but not in a situation of changing out the furnace only.

and what a scam…to control dust…gotta laugh on that one…

make sure you get a good high efficiensy furnace too. 88% at least. not the lower end at 72% i think it is. he can tape the joins at the new furnace connections for say about 15 bucks in tape.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.