• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Barbara Swanson

I have a A-frame house – upstairs unfinished. I have insulation boards up between the support beams(rafters?) for the roof (supported by 1×2’s running up the side of the beams. Want to put drywall up to cover the insulation but want to keep the main beams showing, the drywall would be flush with the beams. I was told to put 2×4’s up between the beams to support the drywall. But what about the edge that will be next to the beam?

There is also a false ceiling, so the height is approx. 13 feet up, angled of course. Will the 2×4’s be enough?

Mongo

What is the on-center spacing of the rafters/beams…what is the distance between them?

For a backer for the drywall, make a structure out of the 2x4s that looks like a ladder.

The long ‘sides’ of the ladder will be nailed/screwed to the inside faces of the beams/rafters, and held back from the face of the beams to provide for the depth of the drywall. The ‘rungs’ of the rafters will provide additional support for the drywall.

Assemble the ‘ladder’, then fasten it in place.

Instead of having the drywall flush with the face of the beam, consider holding it back a half-inch to an inch or so. The shadow line will help hide and irregularities in the construction and will provide additional depth for the eye.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.