Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      fidelmd
      Participant

I am currently deployed to Iraq with the Army, and I am returning home late November. I have one last major project to work on which is my driveway. I live in Central Valley California, and I cannot decide what to finish my driveway with. I have approximately 9000 Sqft of driveway. I was thinking, asphalt, concrete or gravel. I have a custom home only 3-years old. I am trying to stay within a certain budget as well. Can you please tell me the differences in materials and what you recommend. Thank You!

k smith
      Participant

concrete is perminent and asphalt will require regular maintenance. asphalt is also going up in costs due to the rise in petrolium costs.

Jasper
      Participant

* I just saw on Satellite TV “Modern Marvels” where they talk about the Interstate Highway system that President Dwight D Eisenhauer created. They went from Concrete to Asphalt due to the concrete braking up due to usuage and weather.
      * Their choice of Asphalt was due to many reasons, but one was the immediate use of the highway, concrete takes days to cure. And another was the durability of Asphalt and the fact that they can take it up and recycle it!
      * Good luck… Adios… Jasper

Jasper Castillo

LazySOB
      Participant

If 15′ wide, that would make yours 600′ long. A big driveway.

Mine is half that size. For the moment, I’m living with gravel. Just last week, I had 2 20 ton loads delivered, at $180/load. Had a choice of 1″ or 1.5″ gravel, & I picked 1″. The trucks spread it out as they dumped it, so didn’t have to do much of any spreading. Yours would probably take 4 20 ton loads.

EVENUALLY, I’ll be doing asphalt for the bulk of the driveway. I’ve heard of recent cost inflation, tied to the price of oil.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.