Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      albertshaw
      Participant

I got an echo string trimmer. Sort of middle of the line. My first one was a Ryobi and it did not have enough power. Anyway – I am not even sure if I am using the thing correctly but the Echo feels better.

I tried to trim grass but when I apply it to the grass, the string generate an air current, the grass bends, and I can’t cut anything. If I let the trimmer go low, it digs a hole in the ground.

Also it damages the base of the trees, and it damages the concrete when used as an edger.

So maybe I am the dumbest person around. Does it get any better with time? Is there a web site with long detailed instructions on how to use a trimmer?

I suppose the best time to use a timmer is in the middle of the day when everything is dry? Dry grass cuts easier?

Thanks guy/gals for your help.

thiggy
      Participant

Last question first – yes, grass cuts better when dry, whether using a string trimmer or bladed mower. I’ve used three main types of trimmers – both electric and gasoline hand held, and roll-around DR(see ad in this forum) heavy duty trimmer. I still have and use my 25 year old electric Sears tap feed trimmer and it has been one of the few tools which worked every bit as well as it was advertized to do. I had a heavy duty gas powered string trimmer/bladed brush cutter but only used it for one season before I had a break-in and it was stolen from our farm. Just this week-end I used my DR professional trimmer to help clear around trees and fences at the farm. It works great, but you really have to be careful around thin-skinned trees or it will beat the bark off. (It will also beat the bark off your feet.) I am surprised to see you report that your trimmer damaged cement. Was this with the usual nylon string, or a metal replacement? Using a hand-held trimmer, you must hold it level to avoid scalping the grass. All of the ones that I have used have had a ball on the end of the shaft that provided clearance if held level.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.