Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      gregtomko
      Participant

My house is ~60-70 years old and is wood frame construction. I recently removed carpeting in our 1st level bedroom and replaced it with laminate flooring. I’ve noticed a drop of ~1″ in the level of the floor moving toward the center of the house and there is also a noticible rise in the level of the floor toward the outer walls. There does not appear to be any cracking in the plaster walls and the shoring jack post appears in place in the basement near the low spot, however the concrete floor also is not level in that area. Is this normal or could the concrete basement floor be settling? I also had an internal french drain de-watering system installed last year due to water in the basement over many years and it has been very active but the basement is now dry. Could there be settling from water under the concrete floor? Should I be concerned, and if so, who would be best to contact to evaluate the issue?

Jasper
      Participant

* The house may have been built that way and the carpeting masked the slope.
      * First choice, a Structural Engineer.
      * Second Choice, a foundation repair company such as OLSHAN will check your house out and give you a recommendation and a quote, for free maybe… They did for me. My Insurance company, ALLSTATE, sent out a Structural Engineer.
      * Good luck… Adios… Jasper…

Jasper Castillo

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.