Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      coachciuf17
      Participant

Hi,

I am currently in the process of gutting my entire basement down to the concrete walls and refinishing. After taking out the drywall, I noticed that the walls seem to be deteriorating. The walls are poured concrete and in certain spots, they crumble to the touch. There is one corner that is crumling so much, it looks like someone took an ax to it and started chipping away at it. I see a lot of rocks in the wall at the spots that are crumbling. In some spots, they crumble to a fine sand, which I end up sweeping or shopvacing up, it other spots it crumbles in large chunks or just rocks. The basement is dry for now, but I am afraid that eventually water will start to seep through these crumbling walls. What can I do to remedy this before I reframe and drywall the basement?

Faron79
      Participant

Find a Home-inspector/foundation expert before demo-ing further.
      >>> Is this a full-basement?
      >>> How old is the structure?
      >>> Was there any mold on the backside of any panels?
      >>> Was any plastic vapor-barrier used behind or in-front of the studding?? You NEED to have this done when re-doing the rooms.
      >>> Another factor in foundation protection is the slope of your ground at the house, and the extensions of your gutters into the yard. get them out 6′ at least!!
      >>> My house is only 10yrs. old, and I’ve added over 2 YARDS of dirt on only 2 sides! I tamped it all down well (Advil by the case…), laid out plastic, and added rose-quartz rock with edging. Now I’ve got a nice slope away from the foundation out to 5′.
      Faron

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.