Tommy Mac Discussions Forums Fix-it Forum: Home Improvement & Do It Yourself Repair Forum Deck stair railing problem – post to concrete

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      aichambaye
      Participant

We just bought a house and there is a short stair from the the drive to the screened porch. I believe a home handyman owned this house, b/c I keep fining odd things…

I noticed that the rail (only on one side. There are actually two stairs between the decking and the drive) is loose. I found that the reason is the lower post is two 2×4’s nailed together. One is sort of toenailed into the bottom wooden stair, and the other continues down and is nailed to the side of the stair support (I don’t know the name of it. It looks like a sideways Z and supports the treads and risers.).

My first question is, how do I set a proper post in the concrete to support the stair railing? Should I drill a hole and set a post, or use some kind of bracket and attach it to the drive? If so, what is the easiest type of bracket?

Secondly, would you add a railing on both sides? It seems fine- the drive sort of slopes and on the one side of the stairs the drop is only a foot or so. But I worry about children, though I don’t have any. There is no railing at all on the porch left of the stairs.

Thirdly, I want to replce the treads because they sit in the weather and look bad (although they are still very firm). That should be simple enough, but any tips?

Finally, are there instructions somewhere online that show how to make a railing?

Thanks in advance.
      Heather

Jasper
      Participant

http://building-materials.aubuchonhardware.com/do_it_yourself_projects/a_guide_to_building_outdoor_stairs.asp

Note that the stair posts are not set into the ground. They sit on the ground. I would certainly install rails on both sides.
      Adios… Jasper

Jasper Castillo

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.