Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Eliwnr
      Participant

My second and third floor decks are being repaired. Two contractors are providing contradictory information. One says the frame is meant to last only 50 years. The second says the floor boards and frame are made of the same material (treated white pine) so they deteriorate at the same rate and normally fail in 15-25 years. My question is, do deck frames normally last 25 or 50 years?

A second question – if a deck is trimmed in pvc wood and the deck frame if replaced 5 years later, can the pvc wood be taken off and put back on (assuming it is in good condition) or is it tossed and replaced with new material?

Billhart
      Participant

I have never heard of pressure treated white pine being used for any structural purposes. So I would not listen to that guy.

Generally east of the Rocky’s the standard wood is southern yellow pine, SYP.

On the west coast several different woods are used. Douglas fir is one.

I would go with the 25-50 years.

That said that are ways of building a deck that will cause it to not last that long.

The two main ones are not allowing the materials to dry. For example burrying a post in concrete. The standoff bases are much better.

And not using corrosion resistant fasteners.

As to the PVC trim.

I depends. If you are only doing some repairs and replacing like for like then it might be reused.

But if doing a whole rebuild there is a good chance that dimension will end up being slightly different and the stuff won’t fit right.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.