Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Unregistered-McSherry

I am creating a cutting table for quilting and would like to know if their is a surface out there I can cover plywood with that can handle rotary cutting tools and not leave scratches and cuts

bink
      Participant

McSherry, I think a Formica surface would do the job, but for cutting fabic it might be a little slippery. Also, maybe tempered masonite might be a good choice. I have seen the cuuting table that you refered to, but I didn’t pay much attention to the surface material.

Let us know how it works out.

thiggy
      Participant

Some woodworkers and refinishers place a 1/4″ sheet of Masonite on the top of a workbench as a sacrificial surface which can be inexpensively and easliy replaced as it becomes marred. I think this would be a more desirable surface than Formica, which might tend to cause your rotary fabric cutter to slip.

doug seibert
      Participant

Rotary cutter work best on the special SOFT self-healing cutting mats……

You can find a wide variety of clear/solid or gridded mats at any Office….Art/craft…..or Fabric stores……Reasonable sizes for easy bucks…

To be $$$ practical you need to size the mat to the work you’ll be doing……If money is no object you can find large Plywood “tabletop” sizes available…..Like:

http://artgrafix.com/cgi-bin/merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=A&Category_Code=CA6

“…measure once…..cut twice….throw that one away and cut a new one….”

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.