WE ARE NEW DIY’ERS AND ARE REPLACING
      SOME KITCHEN CUPBOARDS AND COUNTERS.
      SOMEONE TOLD US THE BEST WAY TO CUT
      THE COUNTERTOP IS TO PUT MASKING
      TAPE DOWN AND USE A JIG SAW……
      ANY TRUTH TO THIS SO THAT IT DOESN’T
      CHIP AND SPLINTER?

Steve

I cut my countertop a few years ago – it was a little nervewracking. I used an electric jigsaw with a blade designed for cutting formica & plastic (I believe it has a special hollow ground cut). I also used masking tape on the cutout line to contain cracking. A 1/2 wood bit was used to create a starter hole. Take your time, and be sure someone supports from underneath the piece being cut out, else the weight might pull and crack the formica on the opposite side of where you’re cutting. Be careful setting-up the cutout line, and be sure the cut the inside line (not the line that represents the outer edge of the sink). Good luck.

Travis

I have found that it is impossible to cut countertops without the propper equipment. If you must I would cut it from the bottom with a circular saw. yes tape your cut line on the laminate side. Cut it long as you will have to belt sand out your chips. Build down counter top for cap befor sanding.

Abie Mazon

I have a burn on my countertop about the size of a silver dollar. Please help I can’t afford a to replace. Thanks, Abie

Anonymous
      Participant
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.