• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Fred Boccard

Hello,
      I have to install crown moulding to a concrete ceiling and plaster walls. I have never installed Crown moulding and now the job is complicated with the above. I would appreciate any advice on how to attach the wood to the walls and ceiling. Also any helpful hints on how to cut the wood, do I cope the inside corners? I do own a Makita 10″ miter box saw.
      Thank you,
      Fred Boccard

Steve

It is always best to cope the inside corners as the space will not show. As for attaching the molding to the ceiling and walls, if you can’t nail it into the walls where the studs/header are supposed to be you might want to try something like liquid nails (glue)

Steve

Bruce M

Hi Fred:
      A concrete ceiling!? Hmmmmm……don’t think I’ve ever seen one of those in a residential home before….must be heavy (smile)

Your best bet is to rip a 2X4 into a triangular strip (a nailer), big enough to just fit behind the crown molding without hitting the inside of the molding. Then drill 1/8″ holes through the nailer and mark the concrete ceiling where the hole lines up. Then with a roto hammer, drill 1/4″ holes in the ceiling and install plastic anchors. Do this every 24″ or so. Then secure the nailer to the ceiling using drywall screws into the plastic anchors. When you put up the crown molding, nail right into the middle of the molding into the nailer. Cope the corners as discussed above and you should have a securely fastened crown molding.

Best wishes

Bruce M

brian brown

I am in the constructin business and would like to get some information about plaster mouldings. Can you direct me where i could find the mould to make them?. I look forward to your reply.

Brian

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.