Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Unregistered-goodcoz

I am interested in cove heating for use in my basment four foot section for each bedroom and a six foot unit in the main living area. Does anyone have any comments good or bad about cove heating?

HKestenholz
      Participant

This kind of heat has been in use for over a century, especially in the older commercial buildings like schools, town halls, post offices, etc, using steam radiators and pipes at the ceiling. For half a century, Edwards Engineering has made their valance units for a similar purpose for use mostly in hospitals, offices, schools, and nursing homes:
      http://www.edwards-eng.com/valance.pdf

The result is similar to what happens in a well-insulated warm air heated home. The hot air rises to the ceiling, the ceiling becomes warmer than the rest of the room and the heat from the ceiling radiates downward. The missing is the ductwork, whoosh of the air, and the holes in the wall, replaced by the radiant panel. The cove panel sends the heat directly to the occupants without having to heat the air; but the hot surface also convectively heats the ceiling to spread more heat downward from the ceiling. It is a quiet, effective form of heat. As gas and oil become closer in cost to electric per unit of heat, cove heating becomes more desirable.

For an entire house, the Edwards hydronic system provides much the same benefits at the cost of the gas or oil savings; but is a greater initial investment. The up side is that Edwards units also cool the house from the same units without ductwork.

http://www.heatpro.info heat/cool right-sizing

The Senate and House can not find a suitable health plan for the nation; they should open their own exclusive health plan booklet and start reading.

Unregistered-Rugger

There is a manufacturer in Seattle WA., that has a line of electric cove heaters. It is a highly under utilized heater that is a very effective. This heater is primarily a radiant heater with some convection. I would recommend this heater for most applications.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.