Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      tiedyelily
      Participant

I just moved and the home that I am now in has old hardwood floors that are a bit on the grimey side. I’m pretty sure I can handle getting them to look good again with out bringing in an outside contractor if I could be pointed in the right direction. So, can anyone tell me what the best method for getting old hardwood floors clean and shing again? PLEASE HELP!

HenryinMI
      Participant

Start by damp mopping the floor with dishwashing detergent in water. Some like Murphy’s Oil Soap for this but I haven’t been a fan. Really wring the sponge mop that you use for drying to get as much of the water up that you possibly can. If that doesn’t work, you can move to the use of solvents but just the water and detergent is a good place to start.

If you are sure that you have oil based polyurethane or varnish on the floor, washing by damp mopping with ammonia and water is a good next step. If you have water based polyurethane, don’t use ammonia. You can test to see if there is any reaction in a hidden location with full strength ammonia first. Be cautious what cleaners you do use as some products contain silicone that makes future refinishing a lot more difficult.

Henry in MI

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.