Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Jasper
      Participant

* When cutting with a chain saw, does a backward / forward motion cause the chain to jump out of its guide?
      * Just bought a chain saw, had the salesman install the chain. After a 1/2 hour of use, the chain jumped out and destroyed itself.
      * I noticed that my hiredman was moving the chainsaw back and forth as he cut a tree. I thought perhaps that is wat caused the chain to jump.
      * Thanks in advance… Jasper.

Jasper Castillo

bink
      Participant

Jasper. I have seen this happen with my electric chain saw because I put the chain in backward. This will cause you to have to go back and forth. It is easy to put the chain on backward, if you are not paying attention. FWIW.

Let us know how it works out.

tomh
      Participant

I have had chains jump out of the bar at times. When a new chain is being used it often heats up and expands. The chain needs tightened if it loosens up to the point you can lift it more than 1/4 inch (when stopped). Another thing, all chain saws come with safety chains today. Just throw it away and buy a professional chain without the anti-kick spurs. The safety chains cannot dig into the wood and are very slow cutting. To me this is as bad as a dull saw…the safety device makes it more dangerous. What gives it away in your case is that the hired man was having to rock the saw to get it to tooth on the wood. Once you understand how a chain saw works and are comfortable with the operation of cutting wood.

I Seriously suggest, if you really want to cut wood, or want to have your saw properly tuned, get out of the home improvement store, and check out a real chain saw / power tool store.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.