Tommy Mac Discussions Forums Fix-it Forum: Home Improvement & Do It Yourself Repair Forum CFL bulb flickers in NON dimmer ceiling fan light with remote

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      jasguild
      Participant

I installed two ceiling fan kits with remote control.

I attempted to put CFL bulbs in them but they flicker.

REgular bulbs work fine in them. Also the CFL bulbs dont flicker in a regular light fixture.

This is a hampton bay remote control fan and light and the light does NOT have a dimmer. It is a straight on or off. I read else where that CFLs dont work in dimmer applications but this would seem not to be a dimmer application.

Please help!!

thanks

Billhart
      Participant

Most likely the remote control uses an electronic switch that produces a chopped electrical output similar to that produced by a dimmer.

There are some CFL’s designed to work with dimmers. I have not used them, but I understand that they don’t dim that well. IE, you can only dim to about 50 to 60%.

But since this is “full on” they should work.

There are different types of ballast used within the CFL so different brands/styles may work differently.

But there is no simple way to tell which is which.

jasguild
      Participant

My wife (unlike me) read the manual for the fan. It turns out that even though there is only one button for the light on the remote, it is still dimmer switch. To dim the light, I press and hold the light button as it cycles through the brightest to the least brightest settings.

I just assumed that because it as only one button that it is an on/off button with no dimmer.

I guess I am stuck with the regular traditional light bulbs.

Thanks everyone.

jasguild

Unregistered-jwolf

I found that if you pair one incandescent bulb in the fixture you can eliminate or at least greatly reduce the flickering effect. Given that I only use CFL’s because of the cost savings and color output I wish the fan remote manufacturers would get the hint and start using CFL compliant components.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.