• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Tim C

I live in a 50 yr. old house with ceramic tile kitchen counter tops which my wife likes a lot. However the grout and the tile itself is getting kind of shabby looking. Is there a “how to” re-grout article, and if so, where? And… is there a product i can buy to restore the color and lustre to the tile?

joyfull

There is a special tool that you can use to remove the old grout. It is kind of like a scraper but has a point to it. You can then regrout with grout that has been untinted or tinted. It is not hard but can be time consuming. For a small area, you might find the project quite rewarding. My spouse regrouted the white tiles in a bathroom with brown grout and it looks quite nice. Go to a tile store and ask for the tool.

The Grout Dye Company

Hello my name is Michael C. Malizia from The Grout Dye Company in NY We are a grout and ceramic tile restoration and installation company. We do grout removal all the time unfortunatly we cannot tell you our system. But we can offer this advice, First of all grout saws are terrible to work with get yourself a dremmel and small carbide cutting wheels and cut away . You will probaly go through a lot of them so stock up. If you want you can also hire us from ny to come to your location.
      Good luck,
      Mike
      The Grout Dye Company
      http://members.aol.com/groutdye

Sal Aiello

can you give me some steps necessary to regrout my kitchen counter

Mike

I know there is a video out there that teaches you how to regrout and I hear it teachers with two power tools. The videos are at http://www.JustRenewIt.com

Does anyone know of any power tools for grout removal besides a dremal??? I would really love to know!

Joe in Houston

We are currently tiling the entire house. No more carpet!!!

As we are not Pros, we had spots where we needed to clean up the dried excess Morter & such. The Dremmel tool worked just fine for this. Oh but the dust! I tried using my Shop Vac to suck it up as I go, however the dust is so fine that alot of it just vents right out the vac.

To solve this problem I put my Shop vac outside. I then took about 15 foot of old garden hose & taped one end to my Shop Vac hose. I use the other end of the hose to vacccum as I go. It works great & all the dust goes outside.

Joe

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.