Viewing 27 reply threads
  • Author
      John

I have a Hampton Bay fan, that is one of these remote jobbies with a dimmer & Speed adjustment all via the remote. The only thing that the power switch does it turn it off or on. A Couple of weeks back the remote just stopped working. The remote receiver apparently is toast. A new remote didn’t correct the problem. I have a replacement remote reciever unit now, but the question is this:

Where is the dang thing? Actually in the ceiling? Or is it in the bell of the fan itself?

I have little experience in this area, and any assistance would be greatly apprecaited!

Thanks!

JP in Atlanta.

BobB

JP
      I recently installed a ceiling fan with remote. I think it was Harbor Breeze. The receiver went into the canopy assembly that covered the ceiling electric box. There really wasn’t enough room inside the housing of the fan itselffor the receiver. Although folding those sheathed electrical cable wires and fitting the reciever up into that assembly wasn’t exactly my definition of fun.
      BTW; Ohio is happy that you sent us Rocker….so far.

Joe

The reciever you are talking about is in the upper Bell/Dome assembly.where you can see the dip switches,that’s where it’s at.

bonnie falder

looking for ceiling fan and light remote. the brand name is mood setter. can you help?

BJ

If it is a ceiling fan remote control, the receiver is either in the canopy (at the ceiling), in the switch housing below the blades, or just above the motor. See http://www.efanparts.com for pictures of the transmitters and receivers.

Michael Romo

Hello, I have had the same problem with my receiver going out. Do you know where I can purchase a replacement remote receiver?

I have two hampton bay fans same make and model. I changed the jumper switches and confirmed the remote is good so I just need to replace the receiver.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

msr

Mike Santerre

Yesterday, my remote controller wouldn’t turn on my fan or lights (on fan 52A4HR4L). Since I had two such fans, I reprogrammed the remote control dip switches and confirmed that the remote control was ok (it worked with the other fan, and the other fan’s remote — which I reprogrammed — still wouldn’t turn on the fan with the problem.

Rather than spend $20-$60 on another receiver (model UC7051R), I reprogrammed the receiver and remote for an entirely new dip-switch combination. This worked and solved the problem and saved me some $$$! I wonder how many of these receiver problems might be due to a single faulty or dirty dip switch?!!!

Mike Santerre

Just bought a Hampton Bay Reddington III. Instructions in book say to connect:

> black supply wire to black fan wire

> white supply wire to white fan wire

> ground conductor (supply) to green ground lead (fan)

However, the wires coming out of my outlet box on the ceiling are:

> one bare metal wire

> one black wire

> one white wire

> one red wire

The instructions supplied with the fan do not mention what to do in this case. Would appreciate some advise on how to connect up this fan to my wires! Thanks!

Keith Wilbourn

Thanks to reading some of your messages, I did notice one reason my fan stopped working. The dip switches on my receiver was different from the remote. I think the battery came out when the remote was dropped. When it was put back in, one of the dip switches was hit out of position.

TRAV

Last spring I purchased a home. In the bedroom is a remote control fan with light. The switches on the wall only turn off power to the fan/lights, but do not turn them back on. Remote works only if switches are in on position. Is this normal? Three times last week, the light for the fan turned on by itself, but not the fan. The previous home owners left no manual for the fixture so I’m unsure of how to troubleshoot this problem. I beleive it is a LITEX fan. A saleperson at a local lighting store recommended that I change the battery in the remote, and wait to see what happens. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem, and if so, what was done to fix the problem.

Renee App

I have the Redington II, Model 268-719 ceiling fan and the remote stopped working. I need to know how can I purchase a new one. I’ve been to Home Depot where I purchased the fan, but the one that they have as a replacement does not have the reverse button on the remote. Can you help?

Chris Kenworthy

The instructions say not to mount facing upward toward the ceiling – like on the tops of kitchen cabinets. Why not? Anyone have any experiences with this? I’d like to, but now I am afraid of heat buildup?

Joanne Arsenault

Help – I have a ceiling fixture that needs glass domes(the light bulb hangs down) However the opening is 4″ and I cannot find this size. Please advise

Thomas Schommer

I have a model 258008 Chandelier and one of the glass panels is broken . How do I get another glass.

jim brancato

Apparently my daughter had a helium balloon and string get caught in the fan – the fan movement manually is fine, however, it will not operate via remote or with pull strings. Lights all work fine. I hope the fan motor isn’t toast and hoping maybe there’s a reset swith on the motor itself… anyone know about this?

Phil Mattison

I see lots of people have had the same experience as me, so I’ll post how I fixed it. I am pretty annoyed that you can’t get a decent interior fan any more without a remote control. As expected, the remote receiver in one of my fans failed, and the fan no longer would run at high speed. I decided to remove the remote control and hard-wire the fan for full speed forward, and just use a light dimmer to control the speed. It works fine. Assuming you can get past the mechanics of disassembly, you will find the motor has 4 wires. These are the connections to the two coils inside, as it is a 2-phase induction motor. You can determine which wires form a pair for a coil by using an ohm-meter. You then simply connect each coil to the 110v power, placing a phase-shift capacitor in series with one coil. If the motor spins the wrong direction, simply reverse the connections on one of the coils. The capacitor can be removed from the remote receiver and used in your new setup (assuming it hasn’t shorted out, as one of mine did.) Typically the capacitor is 3uF rated at 250 VAC or more. Any non-polarized capacitor 3 to 10 uF rated at 250VAC or better will work fine. I used a 8uF cap I removed from the rceiver that was still in working condition. The fan doesn’t run quite at full speed so I may try a larger capacitor. If you want to attempt this but need more info, email me at mattison(at)ohmikron.com. If there is enough interest I might post a detailed article on my own web site. –Phil M.

Unregistered-j doyle

Is there any way to fix one of these remotes? Is there any address where one could send it to have it repaired? Jack

Unregistered-HANKSHURE

I need a hampton bay capacitor model 7067r(sku#191-691)vendor #11289

Unregistered-fancyme

The manufacturer of Hampton Bay products is King of Fans. Hampton Bay is a Home Depot Company.
      You can call both numbers below to see how they can help you.

Home Depot Customer Care # 1-800-553-3199
      King of Fans # 1-800-749-3267 (for technical assistance & for replacement parts)

I have 6 remote control Hampton Bay ceiling fans, so far 3 receivers died. I spoke with Technical Support at King of Fans, they say it tends to go when the fan is about to reach 2 years. I explained that its a manufacture defect and its to be replaced for free, since its expected to break…
      She said I should call Home Depot, I did, Home Depot said for me to call King of Fans, because King OF Fans make the fans for Home Depot. I have filed a complaint and is awaiting an answer..

You have to complain or there will always be a problem…
      lots of luck

Unregistered-sherie

Where did you get the receiver????

Unregistered-vicegerp@yahoo.com

i have a hampton bay ceiling fan that won’t respond with remote on the wall i have replaced the unit itself inside the top of the fan about 10 months ago but now the light lights on wall unit but the fan does nothing any advice would greatly appreciated

Unregistered-Tank

o yah

kwestland
      Participant

Hi JP,

The remote recevier is in the bottom of the unit, located in the metal housing, below the fan blades and lights, which I believe is what you are calling “the bell”.

We had the same problem and replacing the receiver fixed it.

KW

Unregistered-leet

I have a hampton bay mediteranian brushed nickel fan and I had the receiver died. It is located in the piece attached directly to the ceiling.

Unregistered-sbhayden1

Switching the light off with the remote works about 2 seconds, then the cfl bulbs begin to flicker and flash non-stop.
      Any guesses on this problem?

ervargasny
      Participant

well mine is inside the Fixure itself over the ceiling fan, by where i have to change the light bulb part, just follow the wiring, that should help i hope…

Unregistered-Mac$Diana

Yep, that little thing is housed in the top of the fan that hooks to the electical box in the ceiling. There’s a hook on the side of the mounting plate so you can suspend the fan weight while working on it.

My problem is that my receiver went out and I can’t seem to find a replacement. Can you tell me where you found yours please?

Thanks,
      Mac

Unregistered-Tony

Having the same issue….I think we had a power surge and had 1 of the lights blow up….shortly after, the remote stopped working all together. I found that the Hampton Bay is a little diffrent then others, my fan has four lights that attach to a small round housing unit, the remote receiver is located in a wider, round housing unit directly above it, just below the fan blades. It is housing is held together by 3 screws….the receiver is held inside by 2 tension arms to keep it from bouncing around. Hope this helps with your particular model. I am looking for a replacement receiver as well.

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.