Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Unregistered-carl

When I bought my house the master bedroom fan was oddly installed. It was the very cheapest tinyiest unit at home depot. Not to mention too small for the room.

It was mounted on a small piece of unpainted plywood. So I removed the fan and plywood and found there was an old square recessed fixture above. In the socket was one of those screw-in plug taps and the fan wires were pushed into the slots.

This does not sound proper to as the wires were loose and the plywood was not sturdy either.

So, how do I install the new fan properly?
      I am assuming I will need a box to mount the fan? Also the old recessed fixture is not budging.

Unregistered-PolockRon

What ever you do DO NOT RE-INSTALL THE FAN THE WAY IT WAS!!!!!!! That was DANGEROUS. You will have to open up your ceiling a little bit (you will have to fix the ceiling anyway cause the recessed fixture opening is larger than a box). You will need a special box hanger that will support the fan (required by code), re-feed the box, fix the ceiling, then hang the fan. If you are not comfortable working with electricity then please hire a pro electrician to remove the lite and install the box. you can then fix the ceiling the and hang the fan. Just do not hire the guy who hung the first fan.

ceilingfanrepair
      Participant

Ha! That is one of the more amusing installation stories I have heard. I hate the ugly square recessed fixtures, but this wasnt the best way to deal with it.

Best way to do it would be to remove the fixture, install a fan brace and box in it’s place, depending on how large the fixture was plaster/drywall patch around it. I suppose you could also use a ceiling medallion to cover the hole if it’s not too large.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.