Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Unregistered-rlmilligan

I just purchased a new ceiling fan with attached an light fixture. I want to wire fan and the light to a dual switch. I have purchased a switch that is capable of doing this but I am having difficulty getting it wired correctly.

The ceiling fan has 3 wires a black, white, and black/white stripe. I think I have attached the black and white wires correctly. The instuctions indicate wiring the black/white wire to a switch. The problem is this there are not seperate wires from the fan assemble for the fan and the light. Thus, if the “switch wire” is attacted to the switch it is not capable of operating the two seperately.

Any suggestions?

Jasper
      Participant

http://www.electrical-online.com/howtoarticles/Ceilingfan.htm

* Go to Step 5 in the above website. It’s color wires are different than yours, but you can translate.
      * From the wall switch box you will have the white Neutral wire that goes from your junction box to the Fan assembly. It hooks up with the Fan white wire. Internally the white wire goes to both the fan and light assemblys.
      * You will need a cable with:
      A black wire for the Lights,
      A Red Wire For the Fan
      A White Wire for the Neutral

* At Wall Switch Junction box
      Connect Black wire to light switch.
      Connect Red Wire to Fan Switch.
      Connect White wire to White Neutral Wire.

* At Fan Assembly:

Jasper Castillo

ceilingfanrepair
      Participant

You do have a separate light wire from the fan– that’s the black/white striped wire. The question is, do you have the appropriate number of wires in your house wiring from the fan to the switch? You will need a separate hot lead for the fan and light, plus a neutral (or supply if it’s wired as a switch loop), such as a run of 12/3. I cant tell from your post what wires you have in your ceiling.

OR . . . are you talking about a radio-frequency control where the receiver mounts inside the fan?

For more information on ceiling fan wiring:

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/ceiling-fan-wiring.php

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.