Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      johngleggett1
      Participant

Bought a house in the Low Country, and being a GC made sure the windows were quality type for the area. Caradco casement roll outs. The cottage has aluminum clad out wood sash in. The house had wood clad in and out.

On both types, the lower rail on two different sashes is wood rot due to water intrusion through the rubber seal. My guess is the units are leaking at the corners.

Talked to Jeld Wen and they are willing to sell me the full replacement sashes 40% off of cost.

Is there a way to simply replace the rail or am I better of biting the mistake on this and paying the price?

I ususally use Andersen Products, and or Pella, and have had problems with all 3 in leaking or delaminating. Pella was great in providing a large replacement unit at 80% off list, no shipping.

I am waiting on Jeld Wen to resolve this matter.

John Cell: 704-658-5524

mattburr
      Participant

it would be extremely hard to replace that bottom rail, first you would have to take the glass out, take about the sash frame and then you would have to find a replacement sash rail that would fit exactly (hard to do), then put it all back together and hope for no leaks. The fact that Jeld-Wen is offering a discount is nice since most clad windows only have a 10-year warranty but i know Jeld-wen’s new windows offer 20 years but they didn’t back in the 90’s.

THANKS,

MATTHEW BURR
      BUYER – WINDOWS AND DOORS
      VILLAGE HOME CENTER / dba COOPER BUILDING MATERIALS
      4650 HIGHWAY 7 NORTH
      HOT SPRINGS VILLAGE, AR 71909
      EMAIL: MBURR@CBMCCI.COM

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.