Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      tjlmbklr
      Participant

I am over half way into a project that is very important to me. I am converting my attic into a living space; This is commun where I am from, it is a upper and lower two family (duplex). It has a wall (load bearing) running directly down the center of the house from front to back on both floors. Also this is where the main beam in the basement is. the house is only about 25ft. wide. My concern is when I have the drywall delivered will I be able to stack it lenght wise above the load bearing wall without any concern. This is a 105 year old house. The attic floor is already finished with existing tonge and grove and the joist are the old turn of the century 2″x6″, which I would think with the wall down the center as support it should be good. Every one that I spoke with says it should be fine.My handy man friend whose helped a lot says he has stacked more on less. My carpenter said it shouldn’t be an issue, as did the guy (who is a friend) that is hanging the drywall. Any advice would be nice.

Thank You.

tomh
      Participant

The drywall is not a problem. With today’s lumber you should not span 12′-6″ with nominal 2×6. The older lumber had actual dimensions and is closer grained. If the rooms are intended for sleeping space (no waterbeds) you should be fine. There may be more floor deflection than intended by modern standards, and this could impact old plaster ceilings below. Structural floor failure is not likely, but I don’t have span tables for this material. Be aware that if you are finishing space without permits or engineering, you could create a resale issue.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.