Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      mbrent
      Participant

Here’s the deal: my dad built a basement (ok, when he started it, it was a “bomb shelter”) out of cinderblock; it has a concrete floor, electricity, air vents, but no plumbing. It had an exterior door, and the top was our patio. Later he added onto the house to completely cover the basement; the patio became the den, and the exterior door is now inside the house. The problem is, that basement has always leaked when it rains. I’m talking several inches covering the floor. All attempts to stop that have failed, including adding concrete sidewalks that slope away from the house completely around the house. We are now faced with selling the house, and we can’t risk another failed attempt at fixing this 50 year old problem. We want to fill it in. Can it be done? Can we have sand “blown” in? Is there any need to “tamp”, since there is a stable slab already over the top? We plan to hire an engineer, but any hints about what direction we should take are welcome. Thanks!

mbrent from San Antonio

Unregistered-odessa

Why do you believe filling it in will stop the water? And once the sand becomes a slurry what will let the water back out? Hint: you will wind up with a septic tank. Hint2: fix the water problem with a sump pump or drainage lines.

Bruno1949
      Participant

end up with saturated sand that will begin to form it’s own little swamp and insect and mold breeder under the floor. Not safe or healthy.

A sump pit and pump with the proper drainage would at least prevent the in ground pool and mold pit.

Obviously removing and filling the bomb shelter properly would be basically either impossible or hugely expensive at this point.

It would probably be best to just mention “Oh yes. Make sure you check the sump pump in the bomb shelter from time to time.” You never know, some buyer might actually find the idea of a bomb shelter under the house “cute’? I know I’d look at it as a great wine cellar or man cave, but I have my grandkids living with me at the moment. I need BOTH of them daily!!

Unregistered-lg

They need to be snaked out.

itsreallyconcrete
      Participant

the problem’s that it was never constructed properly even if done according to bldg code,,, if it had been, there would be minimal chance of leaking water,,, now you’ll need to install a sub-floor water management system including gravity drain OR sump & pump (exterior door indicates/suggests you may not need a pump),,, hopefully your engineer will be familiar w/proper remedial steps.

http://www.itsreallyconcrete.com
      decorative concrete artisan
      concrete repairs

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.