Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Unregistered-Jayroc

I am about to finish my basement (1920’s home). I am putting in larger windows to add more light. I’ve purchased vinyl horizontal sliding windows (2′ high x 4′ wide). The windows that are currently in place are the old jaloussie windows. My foundation wall is above grade about 3 feet and the block is 8″ thick at this point where the windows will go(the block goes to 12″ thick below grade). Since the current windows, including frames, are 2’x3′ I will be cutting out about another foot plus an extra 3 inches for a 2×8 box that will be installed to allow for the vinyl window to be secured to. My concern is what type of header should I put in above the window. I don’t want the 4′ opening to cause any future sagging of the sill plate. My mason recommends a steel lintel but hiding the angled part is a pain. I was thinking about some sort of engineered glulam or steel beam (no more than 4-6 inches high if they make them that small). If this could be done, I would make the width cutout say 4 feet 9 inches and use six inches (three inches on each side) to build up a concrete ledge for the glulam/beam to rest on for support (the other 3 inches is for the 2×8 box and the remaining 4′ is for the window). I need to know from the experts out there if this’ll work or if you have other suggestions. I am racking my brain…. Thank you.

homebild
      Participant

You need to consult a professional and your building code office for this one.

Without knowing all the load for your home it is not possible to give you an answer thru this medium.

Also, you need to be properly advised by your Code enforcement office that the windows you will be installing meet all requirements for emergency access and egress including height above finished floor along with an escape well if necessary.

Don’t guess.

Get the proper advice from the building and code pros.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.