• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Bill

I have a house built in 1912 . The problem I want to solve involves my basement walls. The foundation is constructed of paving brick,and has been painted over the years repeatedly. There are areas that the salt in the mortar is causeing the paint seperate and it is forming a crusty salt scale, on the joints. I don’t know what the paints are that are already on the walls. My questions, are (1) how do I treat the the wall after I have wire brushed the loose off. I know muratic acid is 1 way . I don’t know how to nuetralize it after cleaning. (2) I also have No idea of what kind of paint to use . I believe the paint that is on the walls now is latex house paint. I would be thankful for any and all help on solveing this problem

DAVID BROOKMAN

A SAFE WAY TO NEUTRALIZE THE ACID IS TO USE BAKING SODA (BICARB). MAKE A LOOSE PASTE WITH WATER AND PUT IT ON USING A SPONGE (WEAR GLOVES AND GLASSES!) IT’S SAFE AND WHEN IT STOPS FIZZING, YOU KNOW THE ACID HAS BEEN NEUTRALIZED. (WASHING SODA CAN BE USED BUT IT’S SLIGHTLY HARSHER)

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.