Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Gameday21
      Participant

I am adding a 125 amp main lug in the basement. It is 45 feet away from the main, which is on the far outside wall of the garage. I am installing a 60 amp breaker in the main to feed the panel. I know it is over kill, but I am running #4 copper with a #4 ground. 15 feet of the run is through the stud wall in the garage. The rest of the distance is in the basement. I have the basement section in 1 1/4″ PVC conduit to the panel.
      My question is, Can I run the three #4 wires and ground through the studs with cable gards attached to the studs? (This wall is insulated and drywalled). Or does it also have to be in some sort of conduit? I have bored 1 1/4″ holes for the wires. Am I in trouble in Pueblo county, Colorado?

homebild
      Participant

Perhaps you can clear up some confusion, because it appears that you are installing a 125amp subpanel yet only protecting it with a 60 amp breaker in the main?

Presuming this is a misprint and you are installing a 60 amp subpanel protected by a 60 amp breaker, individual #4 conductors should be run in raceway in all locations (even through studs) OR run as a cable assembly which can be run unprotected even when surface mounted.

You can run the cable through the 1 1/4″ holes but you will need protection plates if the edge of the hole is within 1 1/4″ of the edge of the studs.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.