• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Janine

Is there any reason why baseboard heat would leave a black/soot like discoloration to walls & ceilings? It is very unattractive and I can’t afford to repaint my entire home at the end of each heating season. I have cleaned the baseboard interior (with a wire brush & bleach) and painted the exterior. The furnace we have is 3 years old. Any questions????

Janine

Any questions should be … Any suggestions????

Dodgeman

I am ASSUMING that you have hot water heat that circulates through your baseboards.

If that is the case, the warm air that rises up through the baseboards is carrying microscopic dust particles with it and depositing those particles on the wall. Over a period of time the buildup of dust appears to look like soot.

I’m not sure what the solution might be. Perhaps adding humidity to the house in the winter, or the addition of a recirculating filter in the house to minimize dust.

Good Luck!

Dodgeman

rob

I Installed baseboard heat throughout my house last year, and I have noticed this problem too. What I also noticed is that some of them were blackened above the heater and some were not. Then I came to the conclusion that the ones that had “flat” paint around them were the blackened ones. The ones that had satin, semi-gloss and gloss were not. What kind of paint do you have?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.