Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Billhart
      Participant

I am starting a new thread as way that the forum works the replies to old threads quickly get lost.

http://discussions.tommmymac.us/wwwboard/messages/300482.html

“The main field technician that I had been talking to for several months wanted me to know that the old transformer had not been defective. So the voltage problem is within my home.”

One does not follow the other.

“but since I live 150 feet off the road it “

Commonly the POCO is responsible from the pole to where the connections are made at the weather head.

Or for underground connections where the connections are made to the meter.

But that does vary and in some cases, with long runs the home owner supplies the runs and the POCO stops at the connections are the pole or transformer.

But unless there is a “loose” connection that is going from good to bad and back to good it should be easy to track down.

Start with putting a heavy load on one leg and nothing on the others.

Use space heaters, toaster oven, and electric skillets until you get 30-50 amps on one leg.

Then measure the voltage from neutral to each leg.

If you have a bad neutral there will be significant difference.

Start by measure at the bus bars. Then move up to the income connects to the panel, the the connections at the meter to the panel. Then the incoming connects ar the meter, then at the weather head if you overhaed drop, then at the transformer.

Where the two legs voltages are the same (within a volt or two) the neutral is good.

The first place that you have significant difference the neutral connection from there to next upstream point is bad.

Try and get you electrican and a supervising engineer from the power company at the same time and go over this.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.