Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Unregistered-BLhu

I have an older homes(1920’s) the attic If you could call it that.. has no isulation , between the drywall for the upstairs ceiling and the roof planks/shingles there is only approx 4 ” of clearence, allowing for baffles only 3 “, what would be the bestway to insulate this space, I live in michigan and the desired R rating should be R-46 but dont think this is possible given the current situatuion , I will be re-doing the upstairs dry wall and was considering a multi-layer or 3′ thick layer of foam board between the baffles and ceiling drywall .. is this an viable soulution or is there a better/ more practical means of doing this … keep in mind Im doing this myself and have no desire to revome the old trussses and install new ones

homebild
      Participant

4″ of rigid foam polyisocyanurate insulation will give you about an R-26. Add that to the approximately R-11 you have in your attic now and you come close to recommended ceiling insulation levels.

The best way to attack this is as you have suggested which is by fastening it under the existing ceiling joists then cover with new drywall.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.