Tommy Mac Discussions Forums Fix-it Forum: Home Improvement & Do It Yourself Repair Forum at what temp should an attic get a power vent ?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      itsreallyconcrete
      Participant

ours reaches 140f in summer – 1 gable vent & 3 roof-mtd exhaust vents 2′ below ridge,,, thinking solar exhaust fan vents + 3″ eave vents,,, thanks, ‘bild & bruno

http://www.itsreallyconcrete.com
      decorative concrete artisan
      concrete repairs

Bruno1949
      Participant

A 3200 sq. ft. brick ranch. Power 3′ ceiling fan in bedroom hallway. Three 12″ powered turbine vents on roof. Soffit vents for about 75% of her 300 lineal feet of roofline. Gable end vents of about 4 sq. ft. on three sides. The house is surrounded by tall trees that supply about 30% coverage of the roof and the ridge line runs North-South. Attic floor is R-30 fiberglass batt and R-20 cellulose blown in insulation.

It was 86 outside last summer when she wanted can lights installed in her living room ceiling. I took up a thermometer just for kicks. 132 degrees. I could feel the airflow in the attic but it wasn’t very cooling. I can’t blame the heat on lack of ventilation, or insulation, or anything else. Her house is situated to not get maximum sun. She had some shade trees. And the attic was still almost deadly.

The only thing that might have helped lower the temps were lighter shingles. Hers are black/brown.

More ventilation couldn’t hurt but there is only so much you can do I guess.

HKestenholz
      Participant

Attic exhaust fan thermostats are often set to turn on at 110F. An attic temperature of 140F is twice the ordinary heat load used to calculate insulation effects. Cooling the entire attic reduces the amount of cooling run time of an AC system.

http://www.heatpro.us energy businessmen’s knowledge

Yes, you really have to find out the MAKE and MODEL to get good answers. There IS more than one machine made.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.