Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Unregistered-kevo

My monthly water usage has jumped from 4-6 units (1 unit=750 gallons) to over 20 units. I’ve had a plumber and the local water company come out to the house, and no seems to know what the problem is. Over a 2 month period we have supposedly used almost 30,000 extra gallons of water. We don’t have any identifiable leaks in the house or the yard. Our house is on a concrete slab, so no crawl space. As far as we can tell, all of our pipes indoors are above ground (running in the backs of cabinets, etc) and there is no water anywhere to be found. I only have 2 sinks and one toilet in the house and they’re all fine. No one seems to be able to help me figure out where all of this water is going and my bills are outrageous. All the water company will tell me is that it’s my problem and that I should dig up my yard and replace my pipes (where there is obviously no leak). Any suggestions???

Unregistered-Felix

1. Is someone home all day if not could a neighbour be using your water to water there gardens.

2. Daily take a water meter reading to see if one day is worse than other.

3. Turn off all taps and take a meter reading and go out for the day and see if there is a change when you return.

4. If you do 2. and 3. it may narrow things down.

5. If you think someone could be stealing your water from the outside taps you can confirm it by eg. leave the garden hose attached to the tap coil it up the hose and make a mental note how you exactly left it if its moved slightly when you return you have you answer. Do that to all outside taps.

erik peterson
      Participant

youve got a leak in the concrete-slab, not unusual that the water is not obvious….hire a “leak-detection” company that specializes in locating these leaks and then decide whether to “repair” existing system or repipe the structure.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.