• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Cherylynn Hamilton

Okay, I think I may have done a really stupid thing, actually I know I did but it is really a question of to what severity has my action been stupid….

I was told by someone that Ammonia is a great wax stripper but I didn’t listen to the whole process so yesterday I poured straight ammonia on the floor and almost killed myself on the fumes. Suffering a bit today. I only got 2/3 of the floor done before I couldn’t take it any more. Now, the area that I did get done is flat(which I expect because there is no wax and probably no finish) but it is chalky under my feet. These are asbestos tiles, or atleast I am assuming so (1954 flooring), and I am scared that this dust may be asbestos dust. What do I do?

Jay J

Cherylynn,

I’m glad you’ve ‘bounced back’ a bit today. I’m sorry to hear you almost sent yourself to your local ER. That stuff is nasty!

Anyways, get better first. Yes, it’s VERY likely that your tiles have asbestos in them, or at worst, it’s in the glue. However, from what you’re saying, there doesn’t seem to be any hazard. The hazard lies in the asbestos becomming airborne. This usually occurs when one takes a power saw or somethin’ to the floor and creates a lot of dust. This ‘dust/residue’ should be OK. It’s not like you managed to ‘separate’ the asbestos from the flooring, or something.

I say to start by taking a damp sponge mop and mop up the floor as you normally would. Don’t use a lot of water – Just a damp sponge. Keep wringing it out and change the water if it starts to look cloudy. You can dump it curbside or in a remote section of your lot if you feel you have a hazard (which I don’t). I wouldn’t go watering my plants with the ‘spent water’ though.

You may find that your efforts are fruitless. This may mean tha the ‘finished surface’ (for lack of better words), is ruined. If this is the case, I don’t know of anything that can be done to ‘restore’ your floor. Beings it’s from the 1950’s, I’d consider getting a new one in time. Maybe others have a ‘way’ to restore a floor such as yours.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Ronald Lemire

Can I have a contractor cover asbestos tiles with wall to wall carpeting. In another area, I

d like to have it covered with new vinyl flooring. What’s the recommended prasctice for covering existing asbestos fllor tiles?

Ronald Lemire

Can I have a contractor cover asbestos tiles with wall to wall carpeting. In another area, I’d like to have it covered with new vinyl flooring. What’s the recommended practice for covering existing asbestos fllor tiles?

Ronald Lemire

Can I have a contractor cover asbestos tiles with wall to wall carpeting. In another area, I’d like to have it covered with new vinyl flooring. What’s the recommended practice for covering existing asbestos fllor tiles?

Joe Mancinelli

I worked at a school for a year and a half which had asbestos tiles. How concerned should I be, especially if I was there once on a Saturday when they were wet cleaning the floors. Is there a chance I brought asbestos home? on my shoes or is there just an airborne risk If so, I also vacuum my garage with a shop vacuum, is this dangerous if I tracked some asbestos home on my shoes.

Concerned worker

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.