Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      missouriman01
      Participant

I have a 100 year-old house in St. Louis with steam heat. I suspect the insulation around the boiler pipes are asbestos. It looks like it was painted or sealed with something during its life and looks good, but there is one unpainted section and its ends are open/unsealed.

I know that the main thing to do with asbestos is to leave it alone if it is in good condition. I don’t see any crumbling, but I would like to assure that this one unsealed section is safe. Also, I am planning on selling this house in a year. How do I disclose this in a way that does not really screw up a sale? Should I bring in an asbestos handler to seal this insulation up and then put that in the disclosure?

What I love is that that the previous owners, who owned the house for 11 years, did not disclose any knowledge of asbestos in the disclosure statement.

cunroe
      Participant

2 wrongs don’t make a right, hire a professional to fix your problem, remember although your seller got away with it, your buyer my notice it, and it could come back to bite you.

Anonymous
      Participant

How long have you owned this home? Most state disclosures laws are only a decade old.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.