Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Unregistered-Jelizuba

we are buying a house and had the home inspection done yesterday.
      the inspector found what he believes is asbestos insulation around some of the old (and no longer active) cast iron plumbing pipes.

We asked the seller to have it removed- but he said that he won’t.

Our house inspector told us (off the record) that he would just put on a respirator, cut the stuff off, bag it, and put in the trash – if he were us. Well that sounds darn right irresponsible- but i hear having a professional remove it would be thousands.

I don’t know what to do. We already have to spend the funds we have available on other repairs that we agreed to take on and this is really upsetting. When they say asbestos is ok if it not disturbed- what exactly does that mean? this asbestos is on the ceiling of a full basement that will be used for laundry and storage, We will be moving around in the room on probably a daily basis. Not exactly “handling” the stuff, but not just locking it up to be with itself either. How will we know if we buy a different house, that there wasn’t asbestos there before that someone removed improperly- and it is floating through the air??

I’m not very happy. I finally quit smoking 3 months ago after 17 years and now I could get lung cancer from living in this house! This is the 4th house we have attempted to buy and I’m getting really sick of spending $250 for these inspections.

bink
      Participant

Jelizuba, If it was me, I would do exactly what the inspector said because to get melathemeoma (sp) (lung cancer) from asbesto requires exposure in the 10-20 year range from the friable asbestos particles.

But not to worry, there is a simple solution. They make encapulating compounds for just that purpose. You can usually buy it at a good hardware/paint store. You paint it on just like paint, using a brush. It will harden and encase the asbestos preventing it from becoming airborn. Yes, I would use eye protection and a good but inexpensive dust mask for this process.

I hope this set your mind at ease.

Let us know how it works out.

Tom1038
      Participant

I’m no expert, just a DIYer, but that question would be on the top of my list of potential homes. Your biggest nightmare would be if the seller cuts the pipes out with a hacksaw with no isolation or safety measures, such as sealing the affected area off while removing and no hepa filtration to remove the fibers that become airbourne. You would now have a completely contaminated home with everyone at risk. Consider the $250 your insurance policy that you aren’t gonna be stuck with a lemon, and now that you know about the abestos, if you had to sell your liable if you don’t disclose to potential buyers. I’d “Run, Don’t Walk” away from this house(or reduce the offer by the amount required to professionally fix the problem) and find myself a new realtor. This is Homebuying 101 and your realtor flunked! This should have been in the listing papers.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.