Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      emsloan
      Participant

I have a 4-ton unit for 2K sqft MH. Not sure of the brand, info has faded out. It is pretty old 12+ years. For several months the compressor has had a startup issue – sometimes taking several tries to start and then with a groan. Occasionally it trips the 40A breaker. Once going it cools great. Recently it stopped working, no hum or anything. I pulled off the side panel and took out the large silver 3 terminal cap. Took it to the elec supply place and they tested it and said it was good. When I put it back in the unit I noticed that the relay device for the main power (contactor?) had come apart on top. It costs about 30$, its part number references to Intertherm, Nordyne, etc units. I hate to spend the money for it if its not going to fix the start issue. Could a dying contactor cause the issues above? Any way I can check to see if the compressor or motor is seized up or going out? Thanks!

HKestenholz
      Participant

Change the contactor. After about 5 years they pit at the contact surfaces and make less electricity pass to get the compressor started. A bad contact can make the unit act as it is doing, and eventually make the compressor fail.

Make sure the electricity is disconnected during the change and at that same time clean and tighten all the electrical connections you find.

http://www.heatpro.us energy businessmen’s knowledge

Yes, you really have to find out the MAKE and MODEL to get good answers. There IS more than one machine made.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.