• This topic has 2 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 14 years, 3 months ago by Unregistered-RocketScientist.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      boothbay
      Participant

First, I have to install an oak saddle or is it a transcom coming from my Dining room into my kitchen vynl floor. I had to remove the oak flooring in the kitchen, it didn’t hold up well. That left a little higher than usual saddle space. I am able to nail and have done so to the edge of the dining room floor. But have a problem with the space that meets the vynl floor ..its about 3/4 deep. i have a 3/4 round that fits well but the problem is getting it to install it. The floor below the vynl is concrete. I tried ligquid nail but that has not helped…any suggestions? Also, I need to replace a florescent transformer of 25 watts. A handyman wanted to charge me $70 just to install it. I think that is kind of high. Is it a DIY? I am a senior on limited income …kind of handy. I installed my existing toilet which needs replacement and want to install a 2 function one. Home depot said its a bit different in installing this as compared to the old way and yet he couldn’t explain it why. The handyman wanted to charge me $140 just to install that too.

Handyman
      Participant

Sticking it to concrete?

Your concrete was probably too smooth so the liquid nails had nothing to “tooth” or hold onto. Rough it up with some course sand paper, clean it well and the liquid nails should rip off the bottom of the wood before being removed from the cement.

the transformer and the toilet.

You are paying for labor and supplying the parts so all of the handyman’s profit is labor only. A reasonable handyman is between $25 and $50 an hour. A bonded and licensed one could be higher and a tradesman double.

So basically he/she is saying 2 hours for the ballast and 4 for the toilet.

Both sound like reasonable time frames. as they are not only replacing they are removing. Make sure you let them know that they have to get rid of the toilet and that ballast may have special disposal requirements.

Unregistered-RocketScientist

I think you are refering to the ballast. How did you or your handyman determine the ballast is bad ? Did you eliminate bad bulbs and if it’s an older style fixture, the starter ? It’s possible the ballast is bad, but that’s usually the last thing to fail..

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.