• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Sheila Graveman

We are interested in purchasing a home and recently learned that the foundation is wood. Could you tell me the pro’s or con’s. Thanks

Dennis

It depends on what type of wood foundation you
      are talking about. There are houses here in South
      Texas that were built on cedar foundations that
      will outlast the house. I grew up in a cedar
      foundation house that was built in the late 1800’s.
      The cedar posts rest on limestone rocks and are
      protected from the elements by the house. This type
      of foundation is especially well suited to our
      expansive soils dirt. It contracts when it dries and
      expands when wet which can crack a slab foundation.
      I guess the bottom line is. No, having a wood
      foundation should not automatically make it a
      bad investment. As always, you should have it
      inspected by a trained professional to make sure
      its up to snuff.

bc

I’m not acquainted with wood foundations as such but anytime wood is near the ground, I would be in constant and periodic watch for termites. Jab the wood with a screwdriver to see if they have ate out the inside of the wood and look for their dirt colored trails/tunnels that they build to crawl in going up the foundation. The south is a well known termite zone and I’d check for them all the time.

Besides the termite inspection, look for dry rot or wet rot. Look for places where water settles when it rains. The place better have drainage that goes directly away from the house cause if any water has settled in the past in a low area around the foundation, then you may have rot. Have an inspection done before buying.

andi

Got to know year, design (e.g. type of wood foundation) and area (e.g. soils); and then can give a little more info on wood foundations. I’m pretty familiar with them, new and old.

jb

What did your home inspector say? People here can educate advise and debate but that doesn’t replace the on-site evaluation. It is too easy to get emotional about a purchase or to overlook serious problems. That is why I used a home inspector when I was house shopping even though I am an experienced and licenced contractor. You need a knowlegeable and dispassionate assesment to guide your decision.

Steven Marshall

I would like to build a 14’X 20′ single story workshop at the rear of my home in Indiana. It would be very difficult to pour a traditional concrete foundation due to site access, tree roots, and wooden privacy fence.

Option 1:

Sink several 6×6 treated posts in holes filled with quick set concrete around the perimeter of the struture. Build a platform supported from these posts with conventional constructions from that point up.

Option 2:

Lay 20′ long 6×6 treated posts on the ground evenly spaced on concrete pavers. Build a floor structure on top of the beams, then conventional construction from that point up. (possibly lay a thick piece of plastic sheeting on the ground between the wood and ground?)

The approx. distance from the top of the floor to the ground would be around 12-15″

Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appricated.

Thanks

Steve M.

umar

i am buying a house and found out that it has a wooden foundation. it has cedar being used, kindly let me know the pro’s and con’s of having a wooden foundation.

love the show

umar

Wojciech Nitka – Wood Frame Technology Center – Poland

Where I can found some technical information about wooden foundation?

I would build the first in Poland house on wooden foundatin. Could you help me?

Thanks.

Regards

Wojciech Nitka

Myisha

We are purchasing a foreclosed home, never lived in. We found out it has a wood foundation, other than the obvious…ie rot, termites, etc..what should we look for. The house inspector comes in Saturday but any information you can give me would be great. Thanks btw…I live in Cedar Rapids Iowa so we can expect heat, cold and lots of water…

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.