Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Unregistered-unregistered crazyman

Had a high efficiency condensing furnace installed and now I have more problems with condensation on my windows in the winter, even on fairly new windows. Turned off the humidifier, but still have the problem. Anyone know what to do?

theeagle
      Participant

first go out and get a humidity gage. perferably a digital one.
      a good humidity is below 50% and even better is below 40%.
      use bathroom exaust fans when using the shower or tub. use the exaust fan above the stove.

Remember the past or all is lost. http://www.geocities.com/theeagles_page/

Jasper
      Participant

* I had a new furnace installed. It came with a 3 inch thick filter. Keep in mind that the actual filter layer is the same thickness as a 1 inch filter. It just provides more surface area.
      * When it came time to replace, I took three 1 inch fileters and stacked them in the same space as the 3 inch filter.
      * Big mistake! Condensation began at the filters! Water dripped onto the floor and the carpet became wet!.
      * I went to a single 1inch filter and the condensation went away.
      * Good luck… Adios… Jasper.

Jasper Castillo

Unregistered-Oberon

In simplest terms, moisture forms on the surface of your windows because the temperature of the surface of the glass is below the temperature of the dew point in your home. Imagine a cold beer bottle right out of your refrigerator on a hot and humid day…and then the moisture or condensation that forms on the surface of the bottle just about as soon as it is exposed to the hot air. The temperature of the bottle is below the dew point of the air and therefore condensation forms on the bottle.

Relative humidity is, well, relative. RH is based on the liquid saturation point of the air at a certain temperature. 100% humidity means that the air is fully saturated (at that particular temperature) and can hold no more water. Since warm air can hold more moisture than cold air, raising the air temperature will cause the RH to drop for a given volume of water in the air, and will allow the air to hold more water.

If you measure the relative humidity in your home at 50% at 65F, for example, and then raise the temperature to 80%, the relative humidity is going to drop based on the actual increase in the temperature. The warmer air can hold more water.

So, in order to stop water (condensation) from forming on your windows you have to raise the temperature of the windows to a number above the dew point.

A couple of suggestions:
      first, make sure that you keep your curtains open on cold days will allow air movement across the windows. Also, placing a small fan or space heater in a position to blow air across the windows will also help. Anything you can do to increase the temperature of the glass will help.

As was mentioned in another post, make sure to use your exhaust fans in the winter and go easy on the humidifier, especially on really cold days.

Also, the plastic window insulating kits help a lot. They prevent moist indoor air from coming into contact with the window and help prevent condensation on the glass. Not to mention saving you a few bucks in the process.

Good luck!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.