Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      ldwillard
      Participant

I have a 8 year old Whirlpool electric dryer. Recently it started sqealing I did some reasearch and replaced the belt and pulley system. This seemed to help at first but after running a little while the noise came back. Now the drum will not turn at all. I opened it up and took off the blet. The motor shaft will not turn by hand. I guess the motor has siezed, unless there is some type of coupled drive mechanism that connects between the motor and the blet drive.

My questions are:
      1) How likely is it that the motor was the original problem?

2) Could there be another problem other than the motor?

3) Is it cost effective to replace the drive motor?

Thanks.

tomh
      Participant

It would help to have a model number to diagnose this. Many whirlpool dryers have the drum suspended on a spindle that is in the back. The bearings on that spindle can fail causing the drum to squeal and eventually seize. Since you have already taken it apart once, you can confirm this. Post back the model number.

DanO our resident appliance expert may check in and will have suggestions, IF you can reply with the model #

DanO
      Participant

** 1) How likely is it that the motor was the original problem? **

Fairly.

** 2) Could there be another problem other than the motor? **

As long as the motor isn’t physically jammed somehow, I can’t think of anything which would stop it from turning besides a problem is in the motor itself.

** ) Is it cost effective to replace the drive motor? **

If the rest of the dryer is in good shape, usually.

Dan O.
      http://www.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Kenmore+dryer
      The Appliance Information Site

=Ð~~~~~~

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.