• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      PlumbHazzard

OK – Bought an old home a couple of months ago. Before closing, I had a home inspector and a disclosure signed from the sellers.

This problem though was not disclosed to me. I can certainly understand why the home inspector missed this, but the sellers owned this house for over 4 years, before selling.

Once the snow melted. I noticed a “wet spot” about 5 feet away from the house. This spot was covered by rocks. I dug up the area and found, 1 foot deep, that there was a pipe there….connected to nothing. Everything that went down my kitchen sink (including garbage disposal) and dishwasher, ran straight outside and into the backyard. Everything else is connected to the city sewer line.

1000.00 later, I got the thing rerouted. Do I have any recourse? Yes, I guess this is probably the wrong forum to ask legal advice… but isn’t that a violation of some sort?

I am okay sucking this up. I just wanted a rant! Thanks for listening 🙂

John Boy

Plumbhazzard

That seepage pit for the kitchen sink drain would be a good breeding ground for mosquitoes and other insects and great smelling to. The seller had this house for 4 years and said nothing. Wow.

You do have a municipal sewer system so why wasn’t this kitchen drain hooked-up to the that system also? Ask that question to the home inspection outfit you hired. Why didn’t the homeowners say something? Sounds like a defect and a cover-up.

I would present the $1000 plumbing remodelling bill to the previous homeowner or the home inspector or both.

Have the local plumbing authority look at the situation, perhaps there is more wrong with your home.

On the other hand maybe you should get more inspectors like gas and electrical to look over your dwelling also. Could be other defects.

Give the previous owner and or inspector a deadline to come up with the money. Go see a lawyer.

John Boy

plumber Tom

I agree with johnboy, go after the home inspector and / or the previous owner.This is something that obviously was covered up for reasons unknown.The violation was simply the kitchen drain line was not connected and was covered up by the rocks. I spose the question you have to ask yourself now is: Is an attorney’s fee’s going to be worth it? I’m sorry to hear your bad news, and best wishes with your new home. plumber Tom/Moderator/www.discussions.tommmymac.us/BBS/Plumbing

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.