• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Larry McKinnon

I had a toilet overflow because of blockage on the 2nd floor of my house. I understand it is considered a black water spill, due to it being a toilet, and what overflowed.

It went down the walls and ceiling into the kitchen.

The insurance company had a restoration service come out, but they could not dry everything even after 12 days. The insurance company does not want to pull the lower cabinets out, which is where the drywall stayed damp for 10 days. the problem with pulling ut the lower cabinets, once that starts, now we have a counter top (granite) and floor problem (tile) to deal with. So I know why they do not want to do it. They (the insurance company) realizes if we pull the lower cabinets, the cost goes much higher.

The ceiling stayed wet for 12 days as well as the upstairs floor in the bathroom.

Water went down three walls downstairs, they only want to address one wall, not all three. they claim that the water has dryed up. I think because it is considered black water, regardless of how long the water was on the drywall (backside/inside) it has to be replaced. I thought that was the code. They claim that because the water only flowed down for seveal hours, it is not a problem if it is dry now.

Can anyone tell me what the code is, I need some amunition with these people.

Larry

Harry

Contact your local health department. They would probably be your best advocate in this case.

Other than that, I can see why the insurance co. would be resistive. Lets see- your toilet backs up the same time your flapper breaks and the the toilet overflows black water for three hours? Obviously everyone left the house so no one was around to shut off a valve and/or do some basic cleanup?

Jason

I thought blackwater referred to sewage. I do not see 3 hours of sewage gushing out of a toilet. Maybe some dirty water was in the toilet, but that would of been well diluted after three hours of clean water (yes, clean) straight from the pipes. Does it stink like sewage, or are we looking for a free kitchen remodel?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.