• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      David Chamberlin

I am thinking of planting a weeping willow tree in an area behind our house that is supported by a stone retaining wall drops down about 9 feet to the downward sloping lawn below. The distance from the house to the retaining wall is 33 feet. If I plant the willow tree midway between the two, will the tree roots damage either? Would it be better to have it closer to the house or to the wall?

Henry in MI

Hi, Dave. Let me put it this way. If you plant a willow, you will regret it as long as it’s alive. Our town will not allow weeping willows to be planted at all. They are a dirty, filthy tree that drops leaves and branches at any provocation. Even when you cut one down, the wood is no good for anything. When we moved in 20 years ago, the first thing that our new neighbors asked was if they could cut down that tree. It lasted a year after that and I was really happy to see it go. My strong suggestion is to find something else.
      Henry in MI

Anonymous

Weeping willows, while beautiful to look at are a menace to the homeowner. The get into your weeping tile and clog it. So I don’t need to explain what happens then. And the distance doesn’t matter. The roots seek out sources of water. If there is a crack in a sewer or water line, the roots will find it and plug the pipes. If you see a ww tree that grows really fast, its because its found a source of constant water supply. Always a bad sign.

joe

they say a safe distance is at least 100 yards from water lines, foundations, etc. So unless you got 20 acers, forget the willow.

Kelsey Miles

I am doing a project on the weeping willow tree and are having a rough time finding adaptations that it has. I would really appreciate it if you were to send me information

Sincerely,
      Kelsey Miles

Diane Reed

There is a willow tree on my neighbor’s side of the property-dividing fence within 4-5 from my concrete slab foundation. It appears to me that the roots of the tree are under my foundation to a point that they are lifting and moveing the house. What I believe is evidence of this appears all around the outside and inside the house. The top of the tree now extends above the top of my one-story house and is rapidly approaching the top of my neighbor’s 2-story house. The trunk of the tree has grown to a point that it is knocking out wood slats from the fence. What is the actual damage this tree can do to my house and what recouse do I have to do anything about it?

Reed

I have a have four young weeping willows that I have planted next to a stream on my land. One of the four looks as if it is dieing. The leaves are turning brown and on side of the bark is swelling up, like a sun burn.

Samantha Mast

what’s the life expectancy of a weeping willow. if i planted one when i was about 20, by the time I was 60, would it be full grown???????

Robbie

How much water does a willow tree need a day?

v.shovelton

I can’t offer any advice on yourtree problem. i am in a similar situation….. I have a well established weeping willow tree about 20 ft away from my house I love the tree but i have a problem it is blocking all the sun out of my garden , and i am worried about damage to the foundations of my house. if you get any help let me know it might make me decide either to remove, prune or not to bother with the suntan.

cheers
      vicky

emily kottman

they are a very nice tree

Taalibah Muqtadir

Hi!

I am very interested in knowing if the weeping willow tree is the same as the plain willow tree.
      As you may know, the plain willow tree has a medicinal affects; it is good for pain.

Thanks

carol

Are they good or bad?

Ann

Can you tell me how to kill the roots when it has been cut down, so thay won`t do any more damadge.
      Thank you. Ann

Gary Wardell

Where do I purchase starting branches?

I live in Minnesota. Is it to late to start them now?

Vicki

Do weeping willow trees’ roots interfere with septic and sewer pipes, etc.?

Do weeping willow trees break and fall easily? Are they dangerous due to this trait?

What tips can you tell me concerning this tree, as far as where to plant, etc.?

Thank you. Vicki

Becky

I have heard that weeping willow tree roots will damage bleeder lines to septic system if planted too close, Can anyone tell me if this is true?

Rebekah Bardwell

Hi, I just planted a 5 gallon WW tree and as heard they grow quite fast but what is the estimated growth per year?

patty

helppppppppppp lol i have posted 3 messages how do u get an ans to one does anyone know tks was about a weeping willow of course the bottom limbs are turning yellow prob didn’t water enuf will it come out of it or will i lose it now tks

louise

the one side of my tree looks like it is sun burned.brittle and light brown. please help

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.