Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      lorenoya
      Participant

Need your advice on what is the best way to fix this gap between walls and between walls and floor. There is a 1/2 inch gap between the walls and an 1/4 inch between one of the walls and the floor. Seems empty inside, can’t see insulation but can clearly see the stud wood on one wall, the drywall I guess had a mesh conecting them but it broke very evenly or it actually ended on the corner, weird, no overlapping drywall either.
      I do not think is a structural or fundation problem but please let me know if you think this might be so. Initially thought drywall termites were the culprit (live in FL)but the termite inspector did not think so, we had the house tented since he did find them somewhere else in the house.

I thought maybe filling the gap with silicone caulk and maybe put some grout stuff to match the rest of the shower, do you think this might work? I’m not very handy and can not afford a professional, but need to be able to use this shower since I have guests coming and one shower just wont do.

lorenoya
      Participant

Since I can not place pictures here please please go to
      http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/construction/walls-floor-separating-520281.html
      Thanks so much

thiggy
      Participant

It looks as if your shower wall on the right lacks proper support for the tile substrate. I doubt there is any simple or quick fix for the situation. You will probably need to remove and reframe at least that wall, then retile it. This is not a DIY project for someone who has not had at least some minimal tilework experience.

thiggy
      Participant

From your photos it appears that there is no shower pan membrane extending up the wall. If this is the case, your shower needs to be completely removed and rebuilt in an approved manner. A particularly good source for advise concerning bath and shower tile issues is found here: http://www.johnbridge.com/about/

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.