Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Unregistered-victorian

I have just bought a circa 1898 2 floor victorian. It is is good condition except it has had an extension built. The original house has wood siding with the original windows, but the extension is cement block and has pebbles (rocks) set in concrete for its siding. The extension was built in the ’50s and has ugly aluminum windows. The inside is worse, ugly old flowery carpet, cheap uneven wallboard,and a horrendous bathroom with orange and blue tiles :o(.

The plumbing is very old cast iron and I imagine the electrics need updating. The sockets are old and my computer won’t fit as the outlet has 2 holes and my computer has 3 prongs!
      The exterior is very mismatched as for a 50s extension on a historical home!

Also there is a more recent room addition with aluminum awning windows on 2 sides. It is constructed of plywood which is just painted on the outside. It has a flat roof and is rotting. Since it is not very sturdy, I plan to demolish it. I believe I can pull it down with a truck.

My question is should I have the block extension demolished too, or try to blend it with the house? If I do keep the 50s extension, how do I match it to the house?
      I thought about putting vinyl on it to match the wood, but how do I attach the vinyl to the blocks and pebbledashing?

I guess this is not the time of year to remodel as it is near the holidays and cold weather. Maybe in the Spring.

LarryG
      Participant

these things can run into some big bucks.you mentioned electrical being two prong. concentrate first on upgrading the electrical to a new grounded system.what about the heating plant?what about the roof?you could easily spend a hundred grand getting this house the way you want it but it will be a rewarding project.remember that rome wasn’t built in a day.get estimates and take your time.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.