• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Angel

I have a coffee and end table set that has served us faithfully for several years, but has begun to look worse for wear, scratches and nicks, the surface of the veneer is quite marred.
      I would like to extend the life of the set, but I am not sure what to use. My sister used a spray paint product that produced a rough painted surface, but is not the look I am after. I was thinking of using a tile product, and am open to a bold look. What can I use? Can I remove the veneer or sand it, or what? It does need to be washable.
      Any ideas for me?
      Thanks!!!

Iris C. Steioff

I have a dining room set that I am not sure of its age. I bought it from a so-called antique dealer who has since gone out of business.

I have had the set for a little over 10 years. It is in pretty good condition with the exception of a few areas where the veneer is starting to wear/come off on the chairs. The table is oblong w/drop-in leaf and it has two clasps on either side of the table for you to extend and/or drop. Some people have called this table a “Dunken Phyffe”(?).

The chairs are my concern. They have a scrolling effect in the center and the veneer is coming off along w/the wood. I would like to know how to fix these chairs so that I can put this set in the paper for sale. Also, would you be able to tell me its age (approx.) and about how much (approx.) it is worth.

The set has a china cabinet with glassed in upper w/two doors for showing off your china, pull out dovetail drawer and then two doors that open with or without a keyholed opening. The buffet has two large drawers also dovetailed and then there are four doors. The buffet, table and china cabinet are in very good condition it is just the chairs. The color is a warm dark wood (walnut).

Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Ellie Mays

We have a dining table where the veneer is “worn” off. Just little spots; but lots of them. We think we could sand off the top just a little and recoat. But!, we’ve heard you can’t mix the kinds of surface coatings and have no idea what kind is on the table now.???? HELP!

Thanks.

Debbie

I have a light oak veneer coffee table only 1 year old and my son and his friend have sat glasses of water or soda on the table and it has caused a razed bubbled look in the surface. Can I do anything to flatten the bubbles myself or do I need to take it to a shop.

Britney Jackson

I have an antique player piano from 1917. I would like to take off the old veneer. The piano has a lovely cherry mahogany under this veneer. How can I safely remove the veneer without damaging the mahogany?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.