Tommy Mac Discussions Forums Fix-it Forum: Home Improvement & Do It Yourself Repair Forum Tile BackSplash, and selecting a hardwood floor

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      John

Q1: Can a tile backsplash be placed diectly on drywall if there is little exposure to water?
      Q2: Any tips in selecting a hardwod floor and selecting a good installer.

Jay J -Moderator

Hi John,

RE Q1: Sure. It’s done all the time. In fact, I have tile for my backsplash (and laminated countertops.) Where the 2 ‘materials’ meet, I have a bead of caulk. Of course, the key is to make sure you do a good grout and caulk job.

RE Q2a: It depends, to me, on the room and how the room is used. Also, it depends on the type of flooring you have ‘underneath’. (You’ll need to give this info to me for my $.02 …)

RE Q2b: References from folks that have had hardwood installed is a good start. Just start asking around, and if you get a lot of ‘No’ answers, ask THEM if they have any friends that had hardwood installed. IMO, the ‘best’ installers are the ones that work for themselves, or where the Owner does your home (as opposed to his ‘helpers’.) You can always ask for the Owner to do the job …

I’ll be listening for more from you (and others.) For now, my best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

becky ghuman

Hi Bob,

I am trying to put hardwood floors in family and living room. Any suggestion on what type as I have young kids and a dog.Looking for durable and hard floor,hopefully wl not scratch easily. What are your thoughts on Oak floor vs Brazillian cherry. Thanx

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.