• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Brenda

I am texturing some inside walls with joint compound and have a couple of questions. First when using joint compound what is the amount of water to add to the mix. Second when texturing over wallpaper should you prep the wall in any way. I have had some problems with cracking when the walls dry, how do I stop this from happening. Thank you for any advice.

Hank

thin is in, could be that its a little too thick applying, try lighter swipes, are you using a troul ,grooved , smooth? i,ve never watered it down,mix up compound real good, best thing about it it doesnt have to be done quickly, repeat layers when dry, just do a little and go back

Des

Hi Brenda first of all I am no expert on anything here but I am doing the same project…. I bought the already mixed compound just so I wouldn’t mess it up… and I took off all my wallpaper first… we are using the texture paint made by Behr and it seems to do very well… there is little mess and you really cant seem to mess it up…. And you can not even tell where all the little uneven parts of the walls are best of luck on your project

dp

if you compound over wall paper, the compound takes a good day to dry as the texture will have it applyed between 1/4 and 1/2 inch thick

all this wet compound will have moisture wicking thru the old wal paper and looseing the glue, the paper will then pull away from wall with the weight of compound

i would not apply over wall paper unless you prime with a good oil based sealing primer

primeing will certanily be easyer than striping the wall paler off wall

although you still may have seperation problem at the seams as its an edge that the moisture can penetrate

you may want to use a fast drying joint compound over the wall paper, i not guarantee the miosture wont affect the glue on the paper but its certanilly a better bet than regular compound from a bucket

the fast drying stuff is dry powder, like durabond 120(comes in a whole bunch of set times from 20 minutes to two hours) the 120 will g1ve you good working time

one 40lb bag is equal to a 5 gal bucket of the premix

you have to mix the durabond yourself so you need a 5 gal bucket and a mixing attachent for your drill , is possible to mix by hand , easyer with drill

they sell the durabond at local paint store and you can play with the water to get the consitancy you want

to keep either from cracking dont apply over 1/2 inch thick, joint compounds shrink as they dry , therefor when its applyed too thick it cracks as it dries

as for the amount of water, its your preference as what is easy to work with for you. you like it the way it comes or a little thinner add some tap water, again the drill mixing attachment will make mixing a breeze with your drill

probally best to remove the paper so you dont have the glue soften and pull off the wall

good luck and let us know what happens

dp

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.