• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Trent

I just put a table saw in my garage that says it requires a 20 amp fuse. The garage is on a 15 amp breaker so when I run the saw it logically trips the breaker. Is it as simple as replacing that breaker with a 20 amp breaker or are there other things for me to consider. My electrical knowledge is limited so I’m not sure if I need to worry about the wiring that runs to the garage or anything else?

Dodgeman

In order to install a 20 amp breaker for that circuit, you MUST install 12 guage wiring for the circuit as well. Otherwise, you have the potential the wiring could overheat and cause other problems. (how do you spell fire?)

Maybe it’s time to call in an electrician?

Good Luck!

Dodgeman

t.b.

NO it is not that simple. 20A circuits must have at least 12GA wire to support the current. And even if the wire at the breaker is 12GA there amy be 14GA in that line somewhere which makes the 15A breaker the maximum, somebody put a 15A there for a reason. You are always safe to run a new circuit.

Lenny

If you have an extra space for a new breaker on your panel and can run a cable from your breaker box to your garage, it’s not that hard to install a new circuit. If your box is full, you need another panel and probably an electrician. You have to be very careful and make sure you understand what you’re doing when you open up your breaker panel. If you have reservations, call an electrician to hook up the new breaker into your panel. 20 amp is sort of a “heavy duty” circuit. The 12 gauge wire is thicker and more difficult to work with than the 15 amp 14 gauge wire.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.