• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Keith Rader

I’m trying to create a stucco fireplace surround. I plan on attaching metal lathe to brick and wood armiture but no little about the properties or practices of using stucco. Does my plan seem workable and specifically what combination of materials and in what order do I need to apply them? Any thing to look out for in this type of installation ie. how is the material effected by heat etc.. Thanks for any help.

Dede

This winter we did one side of a see-through fire place with stucco. It looks great! The effects of heat on this product aren’t a problem. If you follow the label and apply exactly as the directions tell you won’t have a problem. The only thing is that this product dries quickly. A two man project – one to apply and one to even it out (the thickness of this product on the fireplace is extremely important) you don’t have a lot of time to get the stucco nice and even and “perfect” – so don’t sweat it – practice a little on a piece of drywall, etc. Sometimes imperfection looks a lot better than a perfectly balanced application. Although I love the results, I remember during application I kept feeling that I was applying cottage cheese to a wall and trying to get it even. It went quickly (because it had to) but it was frustrating. The end results were worth the mess. Good Luck!

Brenda Brown

Old fieldstone has been removed from our fireplace. Would like to cover the cement blocks with stucco, is this possible. Plan to have gas logs. Do you have any instruction and information that will help?

Charleen Taylor

I would like to change the look of my old rough-shawn wood fireplace. Would sanding it down to smooth wood allow me to get a smooth paint finish if you use a really good primer. Or, would it be better to drywall or concrete the front of the fireplace and paint that. I don’t know what to do but I really, really want to get rid of my dark, 1970’s fireplace.

Thank you

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.