• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Seth Nieman

I have an old Wormdrive Skilsaw HD77. Someone told me that the brushes need work. Does anyone know how to do this?

tomh

Brush replacement is described on Page 12 of the manual as follows: (to download a copy go to

http://www.skil.com/Help+With+Tools/Help+With+Tools+Sub+Pages/Instruction+Manuals.htm

and download the HD77 and HD77M manual at the bottom of the page).

CARBON BRUSHES

The brushes and commutator in your tool have been engineered for many hours of dependable service. to maintain peak efficiency of the motor, we recommend every two to six months the brushes be examined.

The brushes should be free from dust and dirt. Brushes should be replaced when they have worn down to 3/16″ in length. The brushes should slide freely in and out of the holders without sticking.

To check brushes: Disconnect plug from power source. Unscrew the brush caps on the motor housing and lift out the brushes; note which way they face, so that the brushes can be returned to their original position. Clean the brush holder openings with compressed air or a clean cloth and replace the brushes and caps.

Only genuine Skil replacement brushes specially designed for your tool should be used.

BEARINGS

After about 300-400 hours of operation, or at

every second brush change, the bearings should be replaced at Skil Factory Service Center or Authorized Skil Service Station. Bearings which become noisy (due to heavy load or very abrasive material cutting) should be replaced at once to avoid overheating or motor failure.

JERRY COLEMAN

COULD BE BRUSHES, OR OTHER THINGS. IF THE UNIT HAS TOTALLY QUIT,COULD BE BRUSHES,IF UNIT RUNS AND PRODUCING RED FIRE AT BRUSH AREA OR DEEP BLUE, AND MAKING POPPING CRACKLE SOUNDS, DOUBT IF BRUSHES WILL HELP. I CAN REPAIR IF WANT TO SEND TO ME. http://WWW.TOOLCENTRAL.COM OR CAN FURNSH ANY AND ALL PARTS FOR THIS MODEL. I WOULD SUGGEST NOT TO PUT A LOT OF DOLLARS IN THIS OLD MODEL, AS THERE ARE OTHER BRANDS THERE NOW ON THE MARKET AT COST LESS THAN REPAIR OF THIS UNIT.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.