Tommy Mac Discussions Forums Fix-it Forum: Home Improvement & Do It Yourself Repair Forum Should two circuits share the same 3NM lead?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      mgerity
      Participant

I was up in the attic mapping my circuits recently, and found something that I thought strange. I have two separate circuits controlling two separate sections of the house, each with its own circuit breaker. However, the two circuits only have a single incoming lead from the box. The single lead is a 3NM wire, so the two circuits share a neutral and ground, the black is hot for one circuit, and the red is hot for the other. Is this an acceptable way to wire two circuits?

More troubling to me is the fact that the splices for these two circuits occurr in the box behind a wall switch, so that box actually has hot wires from two separate circuits in it. I don’t much care for this set up at all, as it isn’t as clean as I’d like it, but it would seem that, at a minimum, the splices should occur in a j-box in the attic instead of in a switch box.

Is this all normal/common/acceptible/up to code?

bink
      Participant

What you describe is called a mult-wire circuit and it sounds like it was wired correctly.

Let us know how it works out.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.